Surrey Slam Round 2 matches review

It’s high Summer (allegedly!). Finally, it’s time to come outside and play some cricket!

The Surrey Slam entered its second round, with 8 Boroughs back to St George’s. With the weather serving up a much kinder afternoon for us, the girls and boys were able to put all the skills from last winter into practice.

4 matches were played, 2 in each of the West and East Divisions. The games were played in a great spirit, and there were some fantastic skills on display from all teams.

Spelthorne “Wizards” (97-8) beat Runnymede “Swans” (75-5) by 22 runs.

After some early discussion about what sound Swans make (“go Swans….HSSSSSSSS!!), it was Spelthorne Wizards who batted first. Ayush (13 runs) provided stability at the top of the order, under early pressure from bowlers Tom and Aidan. His opening partner Charlie started strongly, but was run out by a sharp throw by Edith. This was an early sign that it was going to be Edith’s day. As first change bowler, she never strayed from middle stump, and picked up 4 wickets (inches away from a hat-trick) in just 2 overs!

After Ayush retired, Stanley and Josh built a fine partnership that took the momentum back Spelthorne’s way. Stanley was in destructive mood, hitting 4 fours and a six into the horse field – the only 6 of the day! – on his way to 30 runs retired. Harley and Shahwaar scampered a few late runs to take Spelthorne to 97.

Runnymede’s first innings bowling performance was hugely improved from that first wet and windy encounter! Conceding less than half the amount of wides, and producing many more chances. This sharpness was matched by a more confident fielding display – among the brave stops included Bailey intercepting a hammered pull shot with his knee. Captain Jack, supported by the senior group, shuffled the fielders and provided great encouragement throughout.

In reply, Spelthorne came flying out of the blocks with some brilliant, full deliveries by Charlie, Ayush and Josh. Between them, they picked up 4 wickets.

Despite the early setbacks, Runnymede did a good job of batting out the full 20 overs. Francis was an immovable object at no.3. Kit and Edith also showed maturity in their partnership. However, late runs were difficult to come by, as Spelthorne’s death bowlers turned the screw. Sarim and Finlay’s top class line and length ensured that Runnymede finished short of their target.

Spelthorne ended as the victors by a margin of 22 runs. Thank you to everyone who came to play and watch.

Player of the match: Edith for wickets, runs and a run out (but no catch….must try harder next time, Edie! 😉). Stanley a close second for his punishing 30 not out.

Elmbridge 100-6 beat Surrey Heath 51 all out by 49 runs

Elmbridge won the toss and chose to bat first hoping to get a big score knowing they have one of the best bowling attacks in the competition.

They started off with a shakily when a brilliant bit of fielding from Surrey Heath's captain Josh ran out rival captain and danger man Freddie.

Joel and Sanjit hung around for Elmbridge trying to take away the momentum Surrey Heath were creating with top class fielding, making it hard for the Elmbridge batsman to find the gap.

Elmbridge kept building little partnerships with the help of a few extras and some big shots from Callum later on in the innings getting them up to 100 for 6 off their 20 overs.

The star bowlers for Surrey Heath were captain Josh with 2 overs 1 for 1 and Dylan with 2 overs 2 wickets for 5 runs. There was retirements for Elmbridge with both Sanjit and Callum both facing 30 balls.

Elmbridge knew they needed to show their potential with the ball to defend this target against Surrey Heath who bat all the way down. That’s exactly what happened.

The opening bowlers of Luka and Tom found their lines and lengths straight away and ripped through the top order with Luka bowling 2 overs 2 wickets for 11 runs and Tom with 2 overs 3 wickets for 5 runs.

This made the run chase near impossible for Surrey Heath. Captain Josh and Dylan tried to recover with some really good running between the wickets and picking up on any rare loose deliveries but Joe and George then came on and stopped them in their tracks.

Surrey Heath ended up getting out for 51 and it was a comfortable win for Elmbridge.

Both teams played in the right spirit and showed off all the hard work they have put in and both teams will look to get even better for next week.

Wandsworth “Dragon-Aces” (89-2) beat Kingston “Kings” (71-7) by 18 runs

Wandsworth & Merton Borough started off their campaign with a highly competitive 18 run win against Kingston Upon Thames.

Electing to bowl first, Kingston started a bit nervously, but grew into the contest. Harrison (16) and Will (7) opened for W&M, racing to 35 before the bowling turned the screw. Josh, Madhav, Nicolaas and Tom bowled an excellent tight line on the batters’ pads, drying up the runs. This resulted in the wicket of Harrison as frustration grew.

In support, Finlay and Robert looked to get the score moving, and succeeded in some clean shots to the leg-side. When Robert fell - looking for one big hit too many – Alex came to the crease. With Finlay, they saw out the remaining overs! The other Kingston bowlers rotated well, all doing a good job of keeping W&M from cutting loose. They would have been please to restrict the score to 89.

Kingston started their reply……then abruptly stopped again, as the opener scampered back to his dad before facing a ball….never a good idea to forget your box when batting, Tommy!! The first overs were highly eventful, with Thomas Butcher steaming in at the school end, proving almost impossible to play. The golden trio of pace, accuracy and movement, saw him pick up 2 wickets. Charlie and Joe backed him up superbly with tidy line and length. Between the two, Kingston were reduced to 14-4 in no time (having not really done much wrong).

Cricket will always punish you if you get complacent, and Harry and Nicolaas made sure that any W&M player who assumed the game was won already were VERY mistaken! The Kingston pair looked rock solid, and called and ran exceptionally well, in what was without a doubt the partnership of the day (50 runs). Horace, Robert (off his new 500m run-up) and others strived admirably for the breakthrough, but narrowly missed out.

With Kingston now ahead of the required run rate, 6 wickets left, and W&M looking a little edgy, this match was right in the balance! However, the bowlers rallied, and found a second wind when needed. George Lofthouse was man for the moment, picking up a much needed wicket in the 17th over. His spell was a perfect example of how to go about your business on a slow pitch – doing his job consistently and without fuss, and forcing the batting error with patience.

Charlie and Thomas (3-1 off 3 overs!) returned to close out the innings. A really spirited batting effort from Kingston ended up 18 runs short. But both teams can be proud of their effort.

Epsom & Ewell “Racers” (134-4) beat Mole Valley "Cockerels" (112) by 24 runs

Coach Darren looked after both of these teams and so was praying for a tie pre-match!

The toss was key as both teams were going to have the same plan batting first which would put the team into pole position. Mole Valley won the toss and decided to ignore the coach, to their credit, and fielded first.

Epsom & Ewell were given a plan. Bat sensibly for 10 overs and aim to be around 40-0 by then to provide a springboard to play some shots in the second half of the innings.

Captain Dan Barker and Hayaan Qureshi executed the plan perfectly, taking the team to 41-0 off 10 overs by which time Hayaan had already retired on 10 off his 30 balls faced and Musa Hamid kept the scoreboard ticking off stably.

Dan moved on to 17 by the time he too retired bringing Max Macrae and Nick Jeffery to the crease. Their explosive partnership changed the game and was eventually the difference between the two teams with Jeffery ending on 29 off 17 balls taking Epsom & Ewell to 134 despite some tight bowling from Mole Valley. Sam Alexander took 2-8 off his 2 overs.

In reply Mole Valley had the same plan. Get to halfway with wickets in hand and see what was achievable. Wickets unfortunately fell regularly but with the scoreboard still look healthy. At 61-4 it was game on but the falling wickets looked to be the killer for the innings.

In came Oliver Gillespie to steady the ship. He retired on a run a ball 30 leaving the team still in with a shout of victory. Silas Rennie hit a quick 8 to keep Mole Valley rolling towards the target but by the time Oliver returned to the crease for the last wicket, there was just too much to do, ending on 35 off 35 balls and the team 24 runs short.

2-12 from Hamid, 2-4 from Barker and 2-6 from Man of the Match Jeffery were the standouts for Epsom & Ewell in the field.

A great game of cricket. It's unlikely we will see this many runs in a game this year.

All the day's scorecards and tables can be found online.

New experience

Making the transition from pairs to “out-and-you’re-out” is a difficult one. But many of the children took to the new challenges well. The coaches and umpired were impressed to see so many batters valuing their wicket – a fact that was reflected in the number of retirements.

Fielders swapping ends every over (and not the batsmen), was a shock to some. As well as not swapping ends after a wicket. We also had an instance of a “not out” batter walking off….twice!

All part of the learning experience! And by the end of the tournament, everyone will have a full understanding of how a full cricket match works. It was great to see them looking the part, turning up in their new Borough shirts!

Gaffe of the day

This award goes to coach Mazza – for the achievement of punching – and breaking - his own iPad (not in a fit of anger). At least he saved his clipboard from blowing away in the process!

Quote of the day

“It was really close to the stumps….about this far” – Jack from Runneymede, while holding up his fist (I’m not sure a fist is an official measurement).

Featured Posts