Surrey Indoor Cricket League: Quarter Finals at Downsend School

Last Sunday, the Surrey Indoor Cricket League resumed. In these post-Christmas matches, the very best teams from our 3 Regional Divisions (held at Wimbledon, Guildford and Leatherhead) are pitted against each other, to determine who will be the Surrey Indoor County Champion.

This weekend saw our 4 quarter final matches. All of the games were tight contests, and we witnessed so many twists and turns in the evening it was hard to keep up.

We also broadcast matches LIVE ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE. Click on the link to see all the action from an exciting evening’s play.

Quarter Final 1: Guildford City YP V Old Tenisonians CC

The first match of the evening saw Old Tenisonians (4th place in Outer London Division) take on Guildford City Youth Project (South Division Champions). The former reached this year's play-offs in their fourth year in the competition (having missed out narrowly 2 years running). Guildford City have progressed deep on several occasions, and last won outright in 2015.

Tenisonians batted first and got off to a solid start, keeping all wickets in hand at the halfway point. Adnan Shan was the main man for Tenisonian’s, keeping his cool at one end to control the innings. A few others hung around briefly briefly, but besides opening partner Steve Cumings, nobody else could stay in for long enough to build an imposing total.

Nevertheless, a late flurry of extras and attacking shots dragged OT’s up to a more-than-respectable total. Guildford City did a fine job to cramp their opponents for space to hit the ball hard. However they will be disappointed they took their foot off the gas late on. Raja Akhtar and Rohail Khan all managed to keep their economy below 8 an over.

OT’s opening bowler James Varney suffered a pulled quadricep late in the first innings. Despite bravely seeing the batting innings through (hobbling the final ball for a quick single), it was clear he would be unable to continue. A really cruel blow for the Fullers League side.

In reply, Saj Mohammed got Guildford City off to an absolute flyer….assisted, it must be said by a large supply of wides – as so often happens, the team defending a low score strained a bit too hard. Despite taking a wicket in the second over, the game began to race away from the bowling side.

With the run rate at a whopping 14 an over at one stage, a magic moment was needed....and came! The turning point came in Bryan Haslam’s second over. First, Shan held onto a tracer bullet drive from Bashir, who was getting into his stride. This big break was followed by Zafar’s leading edge straight to Roy Cumings. Then, the biggest strike of them all. Mohammed had been forced to play with a little more caution, and this caused him to drag Roy Cumings’ full ball onto the stumps, not quite committing to the drive. 71-1 had become 76-4!

The Guildford City final pair have rarely been under this much pressure….most often coming to the crease after at least 1 retirement from the top order. This time, the task fell square on their shoulders, to see the side home.

Here is how they got on….

Interested in indoor cricket?

Twenty20 have been running the Surrey Indoor Cricket League for 4 the last 4 seasons. We are looking forward to next season being bigger and better than ever before!

The Surrey Regional Leagues run from early October to Christmas, with venues located around the County. Entries close in September each year.

For more information, contact Darren Talbot:

Featured Posts